National

Video of civilian hitting a military man happened in 2019 - Ghana Armed Forces

Video of civilian hitting a military man happened in 2019 - Ghana Armed Forces

The Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) has said a viral video of a civilian attacking a military officer in public is not related to coronavirus lockdown operations.

Director of Public Relations of GAF, Colonel Eric Aggrey Quarshie, said on Asempa FM’s Ekosii Sen programme on Wednesday the incident happened in 2019.

In a video that has gone viral on social media, a man ordered to do sit-ups in the Ashanti region for flouting the law rather punched the soldier and bolted.

He was laterapprehended and taken through rigorous punishments for daring to attack amilitary man.

Col. Quarshie said there is no cause for alarm because the video is an old one.

“The videois not linked to lockdown operation at all; it is old. It happened last year,”he stressed.

The GAFDirector of Public Affairs cited how he personally worked on one of the videosbeing circulated today in 2018 to buttress his point.

“There is aparticular video trending but I worked on it in 2018, drew the attention of theCommanding Officer to it and those security personnel involved were taken on,”Col. Quarshie said.

Thisnotwithstanding, he stressed that, the men on the ground have been ordered notto touch any civilian should he or she flout the lockdown orders.