Sport

It was a precautionary meansure - Ajax boss speaks on why Kudus Mohammed was left out against FC Twente

It was a precautionary meansure - Ajax boss speaks on why Kudus Mohammed was left out against FC Twente

Ajax manager Erik ten Hag has said Mohammed Kudus' absence from Thursday's Eredivisie clash with FC Twente was a precautionary measure.

After making his return from a three-month lay-off against PSV on Sunday, the 20-year-old forward was left out of the matchday squad for the Twente clash.

Kudus mysterious absence generated a lot of speculation but Ten Hag allayed those fears, saying the absence was merely part of his recovery process.

“For Kudus, this game was too soon after the last one," Ajax coach Erik ten Hag told ESPN about the absence of the young Ghanaian from Thursday's match.

"Let’s not forget he had a serious injury. I expect him to be back in the squad on Sunday. I don’t think he’ll start, so as a substitute."

Ajax host Feyenoord on matchday 17 of the Dutch league on Sunday.

Kudus' expected return will be a huge boost for the club, who are keen to consolidate their position at the top of the standings.

The former Right to Dream Academy star joined the Eredivisie outfit in a five-year deal last July after impressing for Danish fold Nordsjaelland.

He has so far made six appearances for his new club in all competitions, scoring once and assisting their goals.

On his Champions League debut last October against Liverpool, Kudus suffered a big setback as he sustained a meniscus injury and was forced off the pitch in just the sixth minute.